Lois' Lime Soup
12 oz. ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, buffalo, Italian sausage, etc.), browned
64 oz. traditional chicken bone stock (get recipe here) or purchased organic chicken stock
1 (16 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 each, green and red bell peppers, chopped
6 oz. brown rice pasta shells, penne or other preferred pasta
4 small potatoes, washed well and cut into chunks
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 (16oz.) can red kidney beans
3 limes, squeezed for the juice
1 c. cilantro, chopped
Unrefined sea salt or Redmond Real salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Combine ground meat, stock, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder and cayenne in a large soup pot.
2. Cook, covered for 30 minutes on a simmer.
3. Add peppers, pasta, potatoes and carrots.
4. Cook an additional 20 minutes.
5. Add kidney beans, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
6. Heat thoroughly.
7. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
8. Serve hot with sprouted bread and butter.