Split Pea Soup
1 lb. split green peas
filtered water to cover peas
2 ham hocks (from pig raised without antibiotics or hormones and also without nitrates or nitrites)
2 carrots, chopped
1 c. chopped celery
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 qts. chicken bone stock (get recipe here)
1 bay leaf
1 T. fresh thyme leaves or 1 t. dried thyme
1. Cover peas with filtered water and let stand in a warm place (inside oven with the light on is a good place) for 7 hours or overnight.
2. Rinse the ham hocks and place them in a stockpot or Dutch oven along with the remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender and separates from bone easily.
4. Remove bay leaf and ham hocks from the soup.
5. When the ham is cool, remove from bone, cut into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot.
Makes 4-6 servings.