Jicama and Cilantro Slaw
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup high oleic expeller-expressed safflower oil
2 tablespoons each: cider or wine vinegar and lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
Dash of real salt, pepper and cayenne pepper
1 small head red cabbage, divided
2 cups julienned strips of jicama
1/2 sweet or red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup each: chopped red and green pepper
1 (6-inch) corn tortilla (optional)
2 tablespoons high oleic expeller-expressed safflower oil (optional)
1. To prepare salad dressing, combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar; place the lid on tightly and shake well.
2. To prepare slaw, set aside six outer leaves from cabbage; place in a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Shred enough remaining cabbage to equal 2 cups.
4. Combine shredded cabbage, jicama and peppers in a medium bowl.
5. Toss with Cilantro Dressing; cover and chill for 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
6. Just before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Brush both sides of tortilla with oil; cut into thin strips.
8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden and crisp.
9. Remove tortilla strips from the oven and allow to cool.
10. With a slotted spoon, mound slaw in reserved cabbage leaves and top with tortilla strips.
Makes 6 servings.