Winter Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese
1 1/2 lb. winter squash, peeled and cut into thin lengthwise wedges
1 small sweet onion, cut in 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup crispy pecans
1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized and unfiltered)
1 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese or finely shredded white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking dish combine squash and onion pieces.
3. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently to combine.
4. Arrange mixture in a single layer on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 3o to 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once.
6. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in pecan pieces, maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
7. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until pecans are coated with maple syrup mixture.
8. Remove from heat; spread on foil and let stand to cool completely.
9. For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
10. Slowly whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until combined.
11. To serve, transfer squash and onion to serving plate. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with pecans and remaining blue cheese.
Makes 6 servings.