Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage
This is such a versatile dish and I've never served it without lots of oohs and aahs both from the young and the old and all in between. Though it makes a very large skillet-full, when you serve it, plan to have no leftovers.
3 medium cloves garlic, quartered
3 tablespoons extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
real sea salt
1 pound rigatoni, penne or ziti (brown rice pasta is good)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cups traditional bone stock (chicken) (get the recipe here)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bunch broccolini or broccoli, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place 3 cloves garlic in the center of a small piece of aluminum foil lined with parchment paper. Fold up the edges to form sides. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Fold foil and parchment over garlic to enclose. Place on a small baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente; drain.
6. Toss cooked pasta with roasted garlic and return to pot to keep warm.
7. Heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes.
8. Add the sliced garlic and cook for one minute. Add the stock and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.
9. Add the broccolini, cover and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the butter, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
10. Add pasta, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let sit for a few minutes to absorb some of the flavorful liquid.
Makes 6 servings.