Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai Salad Bowls
This bowl of Asian fare with all its delectable flavors looked so tempting to me. But, as always, I've adapted it to suit my own tastes and nutritional needs. So get out your cooking tools, gather together all the ingredients and get to making Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai Salad Bowls! You're going to love it!
SAUCE:1/4 cup cashew butter
1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari sauce (it's gluten-free)
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 lime, juiced
SALAD & GARNISHES:
Spring mix (optional)
Cabbage, shredded (optional)
Cashews, roughly chopped
Crystalized ginger, cut into small cubes
3 sweet potatoes, spiralized into noodles
2 tbsp. avocado oil
Salt and pepper
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into small cubes (about 3 breasts)
1 shallot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions:PREPARE THE SAUCE:
1. Prepare the sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients in a jar with a lid. Shake well to combine. Set aside.
PREPARE THE SALAD & GARNISHES:
2. Shred the cabbage. Chop the green onions and cilantro, and cube the ginger, if necessary. Place the cabbage and Spring mix and all the garnishes in separate appropriate sized bowls.
PREPARE THE NOODLES:
3. Prepare the sweet potato noodles using a spiralizer.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in 2 tbsp. avocado oil. Once hot, add the sweet potato noodles.
5.Season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp).
6. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender but not too soft, about 6-7 minutes.
7. Turn off the burner and pour in half of the sauce and the sesame oil and gently stir to combine.
8.. Remove and place in a serving bowl.
PREPARE THE CHICKEN:
9. Chop the shallot and garlic. Cut the chicken as noted in the ingredients list.
10. In the same pan used for noodles, over medium heat, add in 1 tbsp. of avocado oil. Add in shallot and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
11. Add in chicken. Season chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
12. Next, add the beaten eggs to the chicken in the pan. Scramble the eggs and cook for a few minutes, until the eggs are done.
13. Add the remaining sauce to the chicken and stir to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE BOWL:
14. Layer ingredients in bowl, starting with spring mix and cabbage, then sweet potatoes and the chicken/egg mixture.
15. Garnish with green onions, cilantro, cashews, crystalized ginger and sesame oil.