Scrumptious Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
1/4 c. real butter (from grass-fed cows)
1/4 C. unbleached all-purpose flour or 2 tsp. glucomannan for gluten-free
2 c. warm whole milk (pasteurized whole cream-top, never homogenized or ultra-homogenized)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons real soy sauce (brewed or fermented)
2 c. cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (optional)
1/2 c. sour cream or creme fraiche (organic from grass-fed cows)
12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (from grass-fed cows; not treated with rBST)
8 ounces organic brown rice elbow macaroni or another type of pasta, such as spirals, cooked and drained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add flour or glucomannan and stir with a wire whip 3 minutes or until roux is frothy.
3. Gradually stir warm milk into the roux. Turn up heat; stir until sauce is just at boiling point.
4. Turn down the heat and let simmer a few minutes. Add pepper, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce.
5. Stir in ham and sour cream; simmer briefly or until flavors are blended.
6. Stir 3/4 c. cheese into the simmering sauce until melted.
7. Combine cheese sauce with macaroni and pour into a greased 2-quart dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden.
Makes 6 servings.
Post a Comment
Your ideas and input are valuable to me. I would love to hear from you!