Hearty Minestrone Soup
3 T. extra virgin, expeller-pressed olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. dried rosemary
8 c. chicken bone stock (click here for recipe)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 thin-skinned potatoes, largely diced
2 carrots, peeled and largely diced
2/3 c. organic small brown rice shell pasta, elbow macaroni or farro, rice or other grain
1 (16-oz.) can red or white kidney beans
1/4 c. tomato paste
2 c. kale leaves or green cabbage, finely shredded
1 1/2 c. Jack or Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 pound mild Italian pork sausage (optional)
1. Heat oil in a 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and herbs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 7 minutes.
2. Add stock, garlic, potatoes, carrots and pasta (or other grain). Increase heat. Cover pot and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is barely tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Mix in beans and bean liquid, tomato paste and kale (cabbage or Swiss chard). Simmer uncovered, until kale is barely tender and soup is heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with grated cheese, if desired. Serves 8.
Optional Addition of Sausage:
1. Brown sausge in a separate skillet till no pink remains.
2. Add to soup along with potatoes and carrots.
Post a Comment
Your ideas and input are valuable to me. I would love to hear from you!