3 c. dried pinto beans, thoroughly washed
2 T. whole plain yogurt
3 T. bacon drippings (from range-fed pig with no nitrites or nitrates)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. ground cumin
grated jack cheese (for garnish)
cilantro (for garnish)
green onions (for garnish)
The night before:
1. In a large Dutch oven, cover beans by at least 3 inches of filtered water.
2. Stir in yogurt.
3. Cover with lid, place in a warm area and soak at least 8 hours, but for as long as 24 hours.
The day of:
1. Drain beans and rinse well. Place back in Dutch oven and cover (by about an inch), the beans with filtered water.
2. Stir in the bacon drippings, minced garlic and ground cumin.
3. Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
4. Lower heat so that beans simmer.
5. Cook like this for about 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the beans are not getting too done and to make sure there is still adequate liquid in the pot.
6. Serve with grated cheese, cilantro, green onions, etc.
Makes 12 servings.