Aunt Helen's Heavenly Fruit Salad
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup pure organic maple syrup
1 tablespoon (or more to taste) stevia extract
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour (or arrowroot powder if gluten is a problem)
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained (reserve liquid)
1/2 cup pineapple juice, (reserved from canned pineapple)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1.On the day before (or at least 6 hours before), combine eggs, maple syrup, stevia, flour and pineapple juice in a large saucepan.
2. Heat over a medium-low flame, stirring vigorously with a wire whip to prevent flour from lumping.
3. Heat pineapple in a double boiler or in a small pan inside of a larger pan with water (inside the larger pan). Do not boil pineapple.
4. Add egg mixture.
5. Cook over a low flame, stirring constantly until thickened.
6. Chill in refrigerator till the dressing is very cold.
7. Meanwhile, whip the cream.
8. Fold whipped cream into chilled pineapple mixture.
9. Transfer to a covered refrigerator container. Store in refrigerator till chilled.
4 large apples, such as Fuji or Red Delicious, cut into bite-size chunks
4 bananas, sliced
1. Combine apples and bananas after dressing has chilled.
2. Add dressing to fruit salad.
3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8-10 servings.