Tuscan Sausage and Potato Soup
1 lb. hot Italian sausage, casing removed
6 cups chicken bone stock (get the recipe here)
6 russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
½ large onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups chopped kale
1 16-ounce can of Great Northern Beans, Cannellini beans or another white bean
1 cup heavy cream
1. Warm a Dutch oven or 6-quart pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add Italian sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage as desired until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from pan to a separate plate.
3. Add bacon to the pot and cook until crispy.
4. Stir in the chopped onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
5. Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
6. Add the chicken stock, potatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes.
7. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
8. Use a slotted spoon to remove 1 cup of potatoes from the pot and place them in a bowl. Mash the potatoes and pour them back into the pot to help thicken the soup.
9. Add the kale and cream; stir to combine.
10. Continue cooking the soup until the kale is wilted and tender, about 3 minutes more.
11. Add additional salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
Post a Comment
Your ideas and input are valuable to me. I would love to hear from you!