Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole
This is an old family favorite. My mom started making this casserole when I was in high school. We all loved it, even my father who was not at all crazy about tortillas. He remarked often that he thought they resembled paper plates in texture, taste and appearance. He had grown up in Oklahoma where such things were not served ever. But Chicken Salsa Verde won his heart!
Chicken Salsa Verde Ingredients:1 whole sustainably raised chicken, stewed and boned
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 box cream of mushroom soup
1 box cream of chicken soup
1 (4 oz.) can Ortega diced green chilies
1 (4 oz.) can Ortega green chili salsa
1 1/2 - 2 c. chicken bone broth
1/2 lb. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. grated Jack cheese
1 dozen corn tortillas (organic, non-GMO), cut into strips or quartered
2 T. each chopped cilantro and chopped green onions
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine chicken, onion, garlic, soups, chilies, salsa, broth, half of the Cheddar cheese and half of the Jack cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Remove tortillas from the package and cut them into quarters.
4. Pour 1/3 of the chicken mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
5. Arrange half of the tortillas over the chicken mixture already in the pan.
6. Pour another 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and arrange the remaining tortillas over the mixture.
7. Pour the remaining chicken mixture over the tortillas and top with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45-60 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and top with cilantro and green onions.
Post a Comment
Your ideas and input are valuable to me. I would love to hear from you!