Soft and Savory Brown Rice
2 c. long-grain Jasmine brown rice or other long-grain brown riceDirections:
2 T. real butter
2 T. extra-virgin, expeller-pressed olive oil
3 cardamom pods, opened and seeds removed (throw out pods away; use only seeds)
4 c. homemade chicken bone stock (click here for recipe) or 1 (32-oz.) can organic chicken stock
1 T. gelatin, such as Knox (optional)
1/2 t. real salt
1. In a heavy large skillet (with tight-fitting lid), melt butter; add olive oil.
2. Add cardamom seeds to the pan.
3. Add rice and saute, stirring constantly until rice begins to turn a milky color.
4. Pour in stock or broth, add salt and optional gelatin and bring to a boil.
5. Boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until water has reduce to the level of the rice.
6. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it is. You may have to add a little more stock/water after 45 minutes. Replace the lid.
7. Do not remove lid during the first 45 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.