Roasted Chicken Salad with Green Grapes and Walnuts
One 5 lb. roasting chicken (or 2 if you have a large family, in which case you would double the first seven ingredients)
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. raw, unfiltered honey
1/4 c. chopped fresh rosemary
6 T. extra-virgin, expeller-pressed olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 t. coarse ground black pepper
1 t. real sea salt or Redmond Real Salt
2 c. organic red or green grapes, halved
1/4 c. Gorgonzola cheese, grated
1 c. celery, sliced thin
1/2 c. chopped, crispy walnuts (get recipe here)
1 c. Champagne Grape Vinaigrette (get recipe here)
6 bibb lettuce leaves in the shape of a cup)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine orange juice, honey, and rosemary in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Gradually add olive oil in a steady stream while whisking to emulsify.
4. Add vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
5. Fold back the wings of the chicken and place in a baking dish.
6. Rub with olive oil mixture.
7. Bake until browned and cooked through about 1 hour and 20 minutes or so. Remove to let cool. 8.
8. When cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones and cut into 1-inch chunks (save for chicken stock).
9. Measure out 4 cups of chicken and set aside. Refrigerate remainder for Friday's meal.
10. Meanwhile, combine grapes, cheese, celery, walnuts and Champagne Grape Vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
11. Add 4 c. chicken and toss, then cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
12. Serve in lettuce cup on individual plates with crusty sprouted bread (Alvarado Street is really good).
Makes 6 servings.