Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
3 pounds chuck beef, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup red cooking wine
2 1/2 cups beef bone stock
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon glucomannan
2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 white onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 3 teaspoons dried thyme
1 pound baby potatoes
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
chopped parsley for garnish
1. Set instant pot to SAUTE. Drizzle with bacon drippings and sear bacon 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
2. Add beef to pot and sear 3-4 minutes, using tongs to rotate periodically to brown all sides.
3. Add red wine to the pot, scrape any brown bits off the bottom and sides of the pot and into the liquid. Simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes. Gradually add beef broth and tomato sauce. Gradually whisk in glucomannan.
4. Stir in bacon, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, potatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL. Set to 45 minutes.
5. Do a natural release for 10 minutes (do nothing, just allow to depressurize during this time) then switch valve to VENT and do a quick release. Once float valve drops, remove the lid. Set to SAUTE again and allow to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
6. Give it a good stir and taste before adding salt and pepper if needed.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.