Slow Cooker Carnitas Burrito Bowls
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon chipotle powder
½ tablespoon brown sugar or sugar substitute such as Monk Fruit sweetener
½ tablespoon chili powder
½ tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground oregano
½ teaspoon paprika powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2–3 pound pork shoulder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup broth (any kind)
¼ cup orange juice
fresh lime juice, for serving
cilantro, for serving
Cilantro Lime Rice:
2 cups uncooked long-grain or Jasmine brown rice
4 cups water
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (not packed)
⅓ cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt*
1 16-oz. bag of frozen sweet corn
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/3 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
Other Bowl Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 avocados, sliced or guacamole
Green chili salsa (mild or medium)
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Lime wedges, for serving
Real sour cream
1. Combine the spices for the dry rub in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Season the pork shoulder with the dry rub by massaging the pork with spices on all sides. Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the white onion, garlic, and broth into the slow cooker and turn slow cooker to high.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add the pork shoulder to the pan. Brown both sides of the pork shoulder for 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. Transfer the browned pork shoulder into the slow cooker and pour the orange juice over the meat and then cover the slow cooker. Cook the pork shoulder on high for 7-8 hours or until the pork falls apart.
6. Once the pork is done cooking, preheat the oven to 450ºF and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Uncover the slow cooker and use 2 forks to carefully shred the pork. It should be super tender and easy to shred. Toss the shredded pork with all of the juices in the slow cooker.
8. Transfer the shredded pork to the baking sheet and spread it out. Then, bake at 450ºF for around 5-7 minutes to make your carnitas nice and crispy.
9. Remove the pork from the oven and squeeze on fresh lime juice. Then, sprinkle on fresh cilantro.
10. Serve in a taco, in bowls, in a burrito, etc.
Cilantro Lime Rice:
1. Place 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water into a medium-sized pot. Then, bring to a rolling boil over medium/high heat.
2. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes, or until water is absorbed, stirring halfway through.
3. Transfer the rice into a bowl and let cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Next, chop fresh cilantro and juice limes.
5. Once the rice has cooled, add in chopped cilantro, lime juice, garlic powder and sea salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
1. Place all of the ingredients for the street corn salad in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. Set aside.
1. Place about 1 heaping cup of romaine lettuce on the bottom of your bowl. Add around 4-oz. carnitas, about 3/4 cup cooked cilantro lime rice, 1/2 cup street corn salad, and 1/4 cup black beans to the top of the romaine lettuce. Repeat in three other bowls.
2. Serve with fresh lime, cilantro, Greek yogurt, and more cotija cheese.