Carne Asada Bowl
Avocado oil or cooking spray
1 (12-oz.) flank steak
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
Bean and Onion Mixture:
2 teaspoons olive oil
¾ cup chopped white onion
½ cup chicken stock
1 (15-oz.) can of unsalted pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 ½ cups mild or medium tomato salsa
1 1/2 cups mild or medium green salsa
1-ounce tortilla chips
1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup small pineapple chunks
1 ½ ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
4 lime wedges
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until the desired degree of doneness.
4. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into slices; cut slices into 3/4-inch pieces.
5. Add oil to pan; swirl.
6. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes.
7. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, stock, and beans to pan; bring to a simmer.
8. Simmer for 4 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
9. Divide lettuce among 4 shallow bowls.
10. Top evenly with bean mixture, steak, tomato salsa, green salsa, tortilla chips, and avocado. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges.